Hugo n : French poet and novelist and dramatist; leader of the romantic movement in France (1802-1885) [syn: Victor Hugo, Victor-Marie Hugo]
- Rhymes: -uːɡəʊ
- A given name, latinized form of Hugh.
- see Hugh.
- A given name, cognate to Hugh.
- A given name, a latinized from of Hugues.
Hugo is a male given name, a latinized form of the name Hugh, a German/Teutonic name meaning "Bright in Mind and Spirit".
Hugo is one of the most popular names in Europe ranking as high as #6 in Spain, and #7 in Belgium in 2006.
PeopleAmong well-known people called Hugo are:
- Victor Hugo, a French novelist and poet, author of Les Misérables and The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Hugh of St Victor, also known as Hugo of St. Victor, 12th century mystic philosopher
- Hugo Banzer, Bolivian president
- Hugo Black, American Supreme Court justice
- Hugo Chávez, Venezuelan president
- Hugo Garay, Argentine boxer
- Hugo Gernsback, inventor, early publisher and writer of science fiction
- Hugo Girard, French Canadian strongman competitor.
- Hugo Grotius, Dutch "Father of International Law"
- Hugo Sánchez, coach of the Mexico national football team, former striker
- Hugo Simberg, Finnish painter
- Hugo Viart, French freestyle swimmer
- Hugo Weaving, Nigerian-born Australian film and stage actor
- Hugo Wolf, Austrian late Romantic music composer
- Bobby Hugo, "St Petersburg, Fl" Game Designer/Developer
- Hugo (Street Fighter), a giant pro-wrestler character in the video game Street Fighter III
- Hugo (Suikoden III), one of the leading characters in the video game Suikoden III
- Hugo Strange, nemesis of Batman
- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes on the ABC television series Lost played by Jorge García
- Hugo (A Series of Unfortunate Events), a character in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events book
- Hugo (troll), the main character in several interactive television shows and video games
- Jungledyret Hugo, the main character in a Danish children's movie series and TV show
- Hugo Simpson, Bart's conjoined twin in the episode "Treehouse of Horror VII" of The Simpsons
- Hugo Weasley, a character from the novel Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Hugo the Abominable Snowman, in two Bugs Bunny episodes, "The Abominable Snow Rabbit" and "Spaced Out Bunny"
- In German the South Park Character 'Starvin Marvin' is called 'Hungrige Hugo'
- Hugo (asteroid)
- Hugo Award, an annual award for science fiction and fantasy, named after Gernsback
- Hugo (mascot) of the New Orleans Hornets
- Hugo (puppet), children's toy puppet from the late 1960s-early 1970s with a variety of disguises.
- Human Genome Organisation, abbreviated as HUGO
- Hugo (programming language) for developing interactive fiction
- Hugo Boss AG, a clothing label named after its founder
- Hugo's House of Horrors, a series of text-and-graphics adventure games made in the early '90s
- Hurricane Hugo, a major hurricane in September 1989
- HUGO!, a song from the Too Much Joy album Cereal Killers
Hugo in Czech: Hugo
Hugo in Danish: Hugo
Hugo in German: Hugo
Hugo in Spanish: Hugo (desambiguación)
Hugo in French: Hugo
Hugo in Icelandic: Hugo
Hugo in Hebrew: הוגו (פירושונים)
Hugo in Polish: Hugo
Hugo in Portuguese: Hugo
Hugo in Russian: Гуго
Hugo in Finnish: Hugo
Hugo in Swedish: Hugo
Hugo in Chinese: 烏戈